Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Alice, the Mad Hatter and Me

I had a wonderland day today.  Well, minus the falling down a rabbit hole. And the talking cat.  The "Tweedle" twins showed up, but that comes later.

My strange out of context day came with no warning slide through the mud. Which, if you ask me, is just as well.  My day may have been three degrees left of context, but at least I stayed clean.  It started with the first words the fella said to me at the breakfast table: "yanno, I think we need a crane".  I don't know about you, but to me, breakfast conversation should be limited to "would you like some more coffee" or "how about a nice toasted bagel" and the like. Not today.  Sigh.

::Waving both hands:: the burning issue of a need for a crane or not aside -- my morning consisted of looking for various bits and pieces of maintenance parts for both our trucks and the current locomotive under rebuild.  That I was talking to the same places the for items for the two was part of the problem, I suspect.  Have you ever had a conversation with a salesperson who obviously suspected that you were more than a little bit out of your mind? Gets you to wondering too.

My afternoon consisted of various errands in town with a final stop at the local cellular phone company to resolve a data loss problem with the fella's phone.  The salesperson made a lengthy show of reprograming the slightly older than a year old phone, then proceeded to try to convince me that it didn't work, was out of warranty and that I would need to buy a new one.  Her sales pitch might have been more convincing if after the reprogramming show, while she went to the back to check to see whether I was authorized to talk about the account, I hadn't picked the phone up from behind the counter where she thought she had secured it and made a phone call out to the fella.  "Can you hear me now"?  Loud and clear lady.  Guessing she thought I was crazy too.

Then while watching the news, I saw where Michael Moore was at the Republican convention and received a hearty round of Boo's.  He stood there waving and smiling.  Suddenly, in my weird out of context frame of mind I decided that I actually like the man.  Don't get me wrong, the man's viewpoint is anathema to everything I think, but he does say things that he believes need to be said and he lets no one stop him. Gotta admire that.  I decided that I have a warm spot in my heart for Michael Moore, I am gonna get a ride down that muddy rabbit hole yet.

The "Tweedle" twins.  My dogs of course.  On our evening walkies, they both took to barking like crazy up at the top of a slender maple.  There was nothing in that tree!  Could not have been more than a hundred leaves at the ends of a few twigs. Nothing was in that tree, but they kept barking and looking up until I too was standing at the base of the tree looking up.  They had me convinced.  I suspect that to end my day I was the victim of some sort of dog joke and the dogs are still laughing.

2 comments:

jevanslink said...

Walkies!!! I shot a commercial with Mrs. Walkies herself -- Barbara Woodhouse. Thanks for the flashback.  One that I don't need drugs to control.  Mrs. L

jcnspots said...

Dog joke.. Yup, been there, done that.  My whole LIFE is a running dog joke.  <G>  Gotta be, right?  I mean, dalmatian hair DOES have some nutritional value, doesn't it?