Monday, October 25, 2004

Ok, THAT wasn't any fun ...

Why don't we have "nonplused" as a choice of mood?  Spent a lot of time with that mood lately, can't recall a single second of chillin' in my life. Aside.

The last several weeks I have spent a lot of time working out of town.  No, not like that.  Working.  Twelve hours of up and down the ladder on the floater, roaring Caterpillar engine, hooking and unhooking hoses, dust or mud, sometimes both and dogs.  Out of town work means dogs. Mine.

Hold on! I am not one of THOSE crazy people (that I am one of another kind is not the subject of this entry).  I travel with my two monsters only because they can't be left alone for three or four days at a time and the old guy doesn't deal well with being left in a kennel.  The fact that the monsters are farm guard dogs means that they bark at all unusual noises which means that when I travel with two large dogs when I work out of town motels stays are out and the comforts of the fella's sleeper on his semi are in.  Yow.  I do shower at the motel and grab take out for dinner but ... (sigh).

The drive home at the end of the job is the worst.  My neon, after spending several days out in a field is dusty and covered with dog paw prints. There I am driving, tired and disheveled, pup in the front passenger seat, buddy in the back, both of them sitting up looking forward while they ride (you would think that they would have the decency to act like dogs and hang out the windows). Nope, they act like passengers, human passengers. People glance over as they pass, and get "the look" on their faces. Crazy dog lady alert!  That is fair I suppose, at those moments I, AM crazy dog lady.  Sigh, at least the dogs don't talk to me while we ride. Well, sometimes they do, but I ignore them.

By the way this entry was not a plea for sympathy, honest, I see the humor in the situation and frankly, the dogs say that it serves me right.

2 comments:

oceanmrc said...

I think it's nice that you have such faithful companions.  Even if they are a PITA.

jcnspots said...

Only one who truly understands dogs as much as a human can understand a canine (why the HELL do they do the things they do, anyhow?  What human eats dirt, for example??) could have written what you did and not come across as the crazy dog lady.  Then again, I'm the crazy dog guy, so I guess I can identify.  <snicker>