Thursday, December 30, 2004

I Thought that we weren't doing anything New Year's Eve ...

Normally, we have a "do" of sorts on New Year's Eve. The last couple of months have swirled all around normal without actually ever landing, if ya know what I mean.  With that in mind, I could have sworn that the fella and I discussed the issue and agreed that this New Year's Eve, we were going to do nothing.  Nothing, as in sitting staring slack jawed at the TV until oh, say, the festive hour of 9 or so, then go to sleep. (My personal idea of the perfect evening) -- ok, so I am boring, and tired, mostly these days. Nothing, does it get better than that?

Nothing was the plan. Blissful hours of uneventful.  Instead (you knew that I was working up to an instead, didn't you?) instead, when I arrived home yesterday (yesterday of the nonstop hurling and I might add, not the best possible day to come home to the information that we [as in I] were, after all GOING to do "something" New Year's Eve).  Men.  Something. Just a few (10) people for dinner followed by snackies and cards or whatever until ...

Ummm,what?  :: I said scrunching up my face, because between my urge to raise one eyebrow or go for a less subtle expression of surprise tempered with rage, my entire face threatened to explode and only the scrunch was keeping it together ::  Did we not agree that we were not going to do anything this year? Oh, good, we did! Aaaaaaand did I not just get home from working out of town for three days? I did, didn't I?  Ok. Soooo, in my absence, nothing (no party) has been redefined as dinner for ten people followed by a party?  HAS to be a guy thing.

Fortunately (am I getting good at slapping a happy face on events that should have me screaming, curled in a ball on the floor or what?) fortunately, there is (dramatic pause) the basement.

Mostly always setup for emergency entertaining, all this room takes is some food set out and a few tunes punched into the jukebox and ...  sigh, I could have sworn that we weren't going to do anything this New Year's Eve. I should have known better.  Where did I leave the silly hats and noise makers? I am sooooo gonna get a picture of him in a pointy hat with fru fru decorating the top. I am.

3 comments:

karensull12 said...

Happy New Year!  Thank you for visiting my journal.  You have a wonderful journal here!

http://journals.aol.com/karensull12/Therantingsofasecretwildwoman

mccullough8995 said...

Mary,
this is wonderful! I enjoyed reading all of it. And what a very nice looking basement you have. looks awesome.

Happy New Year!!!!  Keep up the good writing, I love it!!!

delela1 said...

WOW!  Very, very, very nice bar.  Makes mine look like a snack cart.  ;)