Sunday, January 23, 2005

This is one of the reasons that I have issues with the lefty leaners

Tonight, in sub zero temperatures, steel pipe in hand, I crept from pool of darkness to pool of darkness across the equipment lot to the door of the pole barn. Turning the handle on the door, I raised the steel pipe over my head and simultaneously let loose with a banshee wail and kicked open the door to confront a backhoe with creeping hydraulics. Yep, anticlimactic. For the record, I was ok with my attempt to terrify snow removal equipment, given the possible alternatives. 

How is it that I ended up creeping through the night in the cold?  The phone in the pole barn came off the hook and on to speaker phone, somehow.  Noticing that, I listened.  Sound of the K1 heater running and strange arrhythmic banging. Heater noise fine, phone off the hook and banging noises, not so fine. Bad in fact.  Could be nothing, could be trespassers or worse.  Thing is, nowadays, trespassers or thieves can hurt themselves on your property, sue and win because somehow the property owner shoulda ...  Yah.  Worse, trespassers or thieves hurt in a fight with a large physically powerful male property owner can sue because ... yah.  Enter the only bright spot in the scenario, I am a chick.  I can be "scared for my life" and get away with damn near anything. My terrified chickdom outweighs any "rights" thieves or trespassers may have. So I get to go check things out when things are maybe wrong. Time was, it wouldn't have been that way.

Things are is not always the way one would have them. I can't control the wave of miscreant's rights that threatens to drown anyone trying to stay afloat. I can and do vote to the right hoping for sanity and tort reform. Meanwhile, I also have my very own custom cut 2 inch by 3 foot steel pipe and a banshee wail. Disregard the fact that the backhoe was singularly unimpressed by either tonight.

7 comments:

pudge450 said...

I'm with you there.  Tort reform is a good start.  "Right" is right.

thisismary said...

Hello new person!  Thanks for the coment! Great to hear from a fellow rightie. Maybe it is just me but we seem to be in the minority in J-land.  Anyway, nice to hear from you!

delela1 said...

LMAO!  I love your sense of humor.  Taking a simple scenario and turning it into a hilarious situation involving a "singularly unimpressed backhoe."  Priceless.
~Dona  (oh, and thanks for stopping by my place...that's how I found you :0  )

oceanmrc said...

Well, I guess we disagree on our politics, but I do enjoy your entries.  Maybe the backhoe was a Kerry supporter?  <G>

oceanmrc said...

Well, I guess we disagree on our politics, but I do enjoy your entries.  Maybe the backhoe was a Kerry supporter?  <G>

cneinhorn said...

this was great Mary :-)

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

thisismary said...

Maybe  the backhoe was a Kerry supporter?  ::Nod to the worthy candidate and constituency on the other side::  Maybe so, maybe so. Hard worker that backhoe,  hard to tell. Backhoe seems to ignore both politics and mud and focuses on getting work done.  That could describe either side, ya suppose?  ;-)