Thursday, February 10, 2005

Weekend Assignment #47 - Teenage Crushes

I was dawdling my way to the post office yesterday, when a song playing on the radio whacked me upside the head and set me back 20 some years. She's A Bad Mama Jama was the theme song of my best friend at the time, Liz.  She was perhaps the most fun person, and without a doubt the best dancer that I ever met. We lost touch ages ago, I know that she would find it screamingly funny to discover that I ended up on a farm. Wild how scanning through radio stations can change a day. I meant to write an entry about it yesterday, then didn't.

Karma via electrons, I was already back in the early eighties so making the mental leap of a decade (or so, shut-up!) to do the weekend assignment was not nearly as difficult as it might have been. Very first ever?  Barry Manilow. I remember the songs and the way that he sang them. Alternately heartbreaking then laugh out loud funny, gotta love a man that can make you cry and laugh in one sitting. Play Time in New England back to back with Copacabana sometime, you don't need to do you? Time in New England took me away to the Copa Copacabana. Yep that's what I mean.  Oh, apologies to anyone that spends the rest of the day with Copacabana running through your head, that song is a sticker for sure.

2 comments:

jootie1236 said...

I hate to admit this in this anti-Manilow world of ours, but I like him too.  It'll be our little secret.  Mrs. L

mavarin said...

When I was in high school in the 1970s, my brother took me to a Carpenters concert along with his girlfriend.  (What a guy!)  The opening acts was a guy in a white suit, playing a white piano.  I'd never heard of him, but I thought he was as good as the Carpenters. I can't prove this, but I've long suspected that was Barry Manilow, before his first hit. - Karen