Tuesday, May 31, 2005

40 Acres and ...

Forty Acres and a Mule is the way that it was, maybe sometime, but for me, for me, heaven is forty acres, two dogs and an hour just before sunset.  Walkies like no one in the city and very few out in farm country experience.  The doggie hour.  No leashes, no rules ('cept "stay in your yard!") Wandering here and there, where-ever the dogs think there might be something interesting. "Dog Pack Time." They follow their noses, I follow them.  Walkies. Dog walkies, not people walkies. 

First, the boys took me to the woods, to a patch of the flowers like the ones that appeared in my "Just Pretty" entry. Because the boys were all dog distracted digging for something that may have smelled like a nest of mousers or maybe bunnie snacks, I had time to notice that some of the "just pretty" flowers in my forty acre yard appear in lavender, instead of white.

After, we crossed a walk bridge over the [drainage ditch] stream and waked through the open field.  The boys found more smells that HAD to be investigated, and I looked down and noticed tiny, tiny, blue flowers in the tall grass.  I had to get down to earthworm level to see them properly, but they were stunning!

Back through the feild, a stop at my garden, where I pulled weeds, took photos of bees, and I hate to say, the boys ate two bunnies that they had managed to catch. Then back to the house and the pond where the guy below was warming up for his nightly serinade.  Frog song to end the evening. 

4 comments:

shadp said...

Wonderful photos. 40 acres would do me nicely - with planning permission of course! That's a mean looking frog. I spent time in Belize years ago, and used to love lying in my hammock listening to the nightly serenade of frogs and toads - one of those evocative sounds that stays with you.

David.

delela1 said...

Ah, more lovliness!  Keep it coming.

btw, I like your disclaimer.  Very very well done.

Dona

delela1 said...

Ah, more lovliness!  Keep it coming.

btw, I like your disclaimer.  Very very well done.

Dona

southernmush said...

Hello again...This entry "40 Acres and..." is quite poetic. I like what you wrote....Frog song to end the evening. I think those words are filled with poetry and sound. The pictures speak for themselves. This journal of yours is amazing.