Monday, October 10, 2005

9 Ladies Dancing was my undoing

They just stood there, gesticulating in all their medieval finery but they would not dance. Christmas tree skirt, machine embroidery that I will not finish by the holidays, but I promised myself that this year!  Well, that and a perm and a real bath with sandalwood scented candles and Chopin.

The fella was out of town and a weekend flirted, winking on the sly and making promises.  Free time, mine!  Girly girl time!  No heavy lifting, clean pressed clothes!  Dare to dream girl!

Friday night and a trailer with recalcitrant brakes.  A knight on a white horse (Bill the mechanic) arrives (ok, a white F-250 -- but I was working on the fantasy already).  He disassembles the dragon and announces that no!  It was not the bushings, it was the drums and the slack adjusters and a grand list of parts that would have to be collected first thing tomorrow morning.  Dammit. 

Ok, Saturday morning, load the foul brake drums and dirty brake shoes into the back of the service truck, send Charlie off to pick up parts.  Done! I scamper off to the house to change into clean jeans and to whisk my way through the house preparing to give myself a perm (step one in the weekend of beauty followed by scented leisure)!  By noon, house done!  I begin rolling my hair.  One row from back to front -- the intercom rings.  Assistance and parts are required, so is a change of clothing.  Back in dirty work jeans I trudge to the shop, lift heavy objects and write down part descriptions.  I send Charlie off, return to the house, change clothes, recommence rolling.  Three rows back to front and the intercom rings ... sigh.

Back and forth all day through afternoon into evening by 8:30, back axle was done and I was applying perm solution. Saturday night was not going to be girly girl bath night after all.  Sunday!  Yes.

Sunday morning and the front axle to be done on the trailer.  Bill has it down now and all the parts, I had time to make the nine trollops look like they were moving at least if not dancing.  Standing there, they stood like stumps.  I was willing to settle for standing if nine of them would stitch out without error and before 8 PM so that Icould take my girly girl bath.  5 PM and not only were the ladies not dancing,  the axle and assorted bits refused to reassemble themselves in Bills skilled hands.  Not without me getting dirty four times and spending 3 hours.

Dammit.  8pm, axle reassembled,Bill gone, candles lit, bath running, scented oil and steam. Sigh, I ease myself into a bath in a room smelling of heaven with the sound of a lone piano caressing the air. I relax, close my eyes, start to drift.  "Squeak, Squeak", Plop.

What? 

Chopin does not squeak, does not plop.  The piano does not chuff either.  I open my eyes, Puppy has "accidentally" dropped his squeaky ball into my bathtub.  Sigh.  I retrieve the ball from my elegant bath of warm water, scented oil and now dog slobber. I throw it out of the room and resume basking.

Puppy returns with the ball, cat follows. Cat jumps onto the ledge over the tub to keep an eye on Puppy.

"Squeak", "Squeak", plop, "SPLASH"!

The cat attempted to stop the ball from "accidentally" ending up in the tub ...

 

4 comments:

shaz19743 said...

Girly girl pamper days and nights are a must everynow and then !
Even if the cat wants to join in ya gotta have a wee night of relaxation !
I always quote DUMB N DUMBER after a good pamper night
" Ive primped em and preened em and i stand by my work " hehe x

shadp said...

LOL - baths? Must be a girl thing. For me, baths are just a necessary chore to be done as fast as possible - get in, wash, get out - 4 minutes max (used to take a couple of mins longer when I had more hair to wash)! Great entry though - and I love the Chopin thing!

David.

plieck30 said...

I would lock that cat and dog out for a while. Just finished one of those girly baths. They will cure what ails ya. Paula

jevanslink said...

I remember baths. I used to take one every morning  before work. It was the only calm part of my day. No time at night. Now I take whirlpools at my healthclub -- better for the creaking joints. I could use one now. Mrs. L