Saturday, October 15, 2005

Shaggy Mane Mushrooms (Coprinus comatus)

Above is a photo from yesterday afternoon.  Shaggy Mane Mushrooms. In the foreground are second day 'shrooms, background are third and fourth day.  Same fungi, different ages.  They change so fast!  Those that should know say that these mushrooms are edible.  Here is the catch, you have to pick them before they start turning dark or "inky". These mushrooms are also called "Inky Caps". Also, the mushrooms must be cooked and eaten the day that they are picked, or they will turn into a pool of "ink" in the fridge.  Ooooh kay. I believe that I will just let others nibble on these guys, I will stick with photos.

5 comments:

shaz19743 said...

These guys are HUGE !
Ive got lots of little funghi growing in the back courtyard although i dont reckon i'll be slicing them on my pizza anytime soon ....dont wanna end up spaced out of my head or worse spewing my guts up hehe
I am however THE biggest consumer of NORMAL mushrooms in the glasgow area hehe i slam em in , on or around anything i can !
MMMMMM toasted cheese and mushroom sandwich may be in order for lunch today x

shadp said...

Incredible photo - the mother of all mushrooms! If they turn into a pool of ink in the fridge - what the hell do they do inside your stomach, if they get there? Fascinating stuff though - thanks for the tips!

David.

southernmush said...

Hello ! I am NO fan of Mushrooms or even the edible ones for that matter. I would rather enjoy butterflies, the moon, cool fall days rather than Mushrooms anywhere. I do NOT like Mushrooms !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

plieck30 said...

Very interesting entry and pretty picture. I like mushrooms but don't know the poisionus from the non-poisionus. Paula

jevanslink said...

I love thes Srooms. Well, looking at them anyway. Sounds like they are here today, gone tomorrow.  Or at least inedible tomorrow.  Mrs. L