Friday, August 31, 2007

Turkey Carcass On The Lawn

Tonight the sky is so clear and bright that I swear that I can hear the stars singing. Today was another spectacular day.  Warm and bright and every moment in the sun a blessing.  September weather in August.  Amen!

Because it was cool today -- I roasted a turkey to have for dinner and other things for the next -- well, weeks.  Deep freezer filling time again. If I ever get snowed in, I will be good for months.  Oh, I am getting to the turkey carcass on the lawn, I am. 

Cats.  I have "barn cats" 12 of them.  The problem is that they have a whole different idea of themselves.  Lounging on the porch cats is what they think they are.  And mostly what they do.  Oh, they do the cat thing -- catching mousers and grasshoppers and butterflies  but that is because they want to.  Not because they have to.  Have you ever seen a dozen cats moving a feeder bin that holds an entire 25 pound bag of cat food from one end of the porch to the other to let the cat food provider know that the bin is EMPTY?  Not a pretty sight or sound.  The wrath of cats is terrifying.  Turkey carcass -- getting there.

Because the world's most spoiled barn cats (the ones that get to sleep in the house in storms and temperatures nearing or below 20 degrees, barn cats, yah, that's what they are) are the world's most spoiled cats, and because I already have 2 turkey carcasses in the freezer to become turkey stock, I placed the turkey remains in a foil pan on the lawn for the cats.

And tonight as I was listening to the singing of the stars, I could not understand why the stars smelled like roasted turkey.

 

1 comment:

tommytickla said...

'When you wish[bone] upon a star, makes no difference who you are, when you wish[bone] upon a star...... you still smell of turkey'.