Monday, December 31, 2012

Requiem for a Passing Hour



"We have treated time like confetti, tossing great handfuls of it into the air and letting it fall unwatched to the ground as if we had been given and endless supply", I said to a friend last night.

Lest I be guilty of treating every hour of every day as casually, this evening I am honoring a darkening hour.
Descending from the heavens, drops of water splash onto the surface of my pond leaving ringlets of tiny waves as they cease to be individuals and become part of something greater. The only evidence of each raindrop's existance is soon erased by the arrival  of the next. Comforting is the knoweldge that raindrops past become life sustaining waters of a pond until they rise as vapor back to the clouds to start over as raindrops.

 eRequiem æternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis.


The sun has set and the last light of the day is waning, I watch.  Penance for all the hours passed unnoticed.  What wonders have I missed tossing time into the great whirlwind of busy or idle distraction? This hour I will remember.

Kyrie eleison; Christe eleison; Kyrie eleison


This hour is passsing, the day's muted colors have bled to variants of grey. Soon this time too will be gone. I canot retrieve previously unmarked hours so I raise a thought to the darkening heavens that the unattended hours of my life not have been in vain as their loss reminds me that even a rainy hour has much to be marked.

Requiem æternam dona eis, Domine; In memoria æterna erit iustus ab auditione mala non timebit.


Lux æterna luceat eis, Domine, cum sanctis tuis in æternum, quia pius es. Requiem æternam dona eis, Domine; et lux perpetua luceat eis.



No comments: